Swimmers Beat Springfield, 51-33, in Fifth Straight Win

Springfield set two New England intercollegiate swimming records last night, overturned two Crimson records holders in the process, and captured first place in five events, but couldn't cope with the varsity's depth. The Crimson was never headed as it ground its way to its fifth straight victory, 51 to 33.

Earlier, the freshmen, leading the Waltham Boy's Club 37 to 31 going into the last event, had to win it or lose the meet by a point. Cy Hamlin, Sam Bailey, Grif Winthrop and Captain Ron Mischner teamed in that order for a 200-yard free style relay that set a Waltham pool mark of 1:41.0 and saved the Yardling victory, 44 to 31.

Mayer Dumps Hawkins

Springfield's Jack Mayers dumped the Crimson's Dave Hawkins with a 1:09.2 120-yard individual medley. This cracked the 1:09.7. New England intercollegiate mark Mayers had set in his team's last meet on Jan. 28. Hawkins holds the varsity record for the event--1:32.1--swum over a course 30 yards longer.

In the closest race of the night, Gymnast Art Semle also broke his own New England mark, equally as old, when he topped Crimson record-holder Sigo Falk in the 200-yard breaststroke with a clocking of 2:29.4. The previous record was 2:29.6 The varsity mark Falk holds is 2:34.8.

Jack Edwards took two firsts for the varsity, combining first with teammate Stu Ogden and then with Chouteau Dyer in the 60-and 100-yard free styles to stop easily the Gymnasts' threat, Jim Clarke, in 30.1 and 53.1.

The Crimson's biggest victory came in the 220 as Jim Jorgensen sped to his fastest time of the year, 2:09.2, to beat the Springfield squad's captain Bruce Hutchinson.

Hutchinson came back in the 440 with teammate Andy Schennheiter to sweep the event in 4:45.9. This was the only race in which the varsity did not take at least a second.