Yard Race Narrows to Six Teams

Freshman Intramural competition has narrowed to a race between six teams for the overall point lead a week and a half after the start of the spring term. This Yard picture may change, however, when competition in two more sports, hockey and squash begins next week.

Currently, of the nine teams in the top half of the basketball standings, only Grays, Hollis, Holworthy, Thayer Middle, Thayer, and Wigglesworth West have enough points from the fall program to figure in predictions for the leader after the basketball points are tabulated.

The 20 original teams in the basketball leagues have dropped to 16 as four dropped out because of lack of talent. The other teams were divided into two leagues, on the basis of their records, with the American League comprising the top nine teams, and the National League the other seven.

Hollis, the winner of the first half play-off, has already lost twice and seems unlikely to top the second half, as Apley did last year. As a result, a playoff will probably develop between Hollis and the winner of the second half playoff for the overall basketball championship.

Grays, leading in points from the fall sports, is in a strong position, having finished in a tie for third in the basketball race during the first half. As of Wednesday, Grays, led by Larry Sears, Dale Junta, and Tony Gilbert, has already won two games in the new league, including one over first half champion Hollis.

Although placing only ninth in the fall point standings, Thayer North looms as a threat to the current leaders. With forward Ted Moskowitz scoring up to 30 points a game in the first half, Thayer lost only to Hollis in a double overtime playoff game. Like Grays, it has gotten off to a good start with two straight wins.

Holworthy Favorites

Holworthy appears as the most likely favorite in the current basketball race. Although losing its first two contests, the team captured the next ten straight, including a league-leading three in the new round. No one player stands out. The club is well-balanced and fast.

Hollis is momentarily slipping after losing two straight. The team has relied heavily on a tall center, Charles Mallonee, but after one round, the opposition has picked up the nack for stopping his high scoring. Hollis still appears assured of placing at least second in the final basket ball standings, however.

Thayer Middle and Wigglesworth West have already lost two games in the new league, but still have a mathematical possibility of winning the second half crown, excluding scores from the new sports.

Hockey practice got underway this week for the eight combined sextets. Points will be awarded on a proportional basis, depending on the number of men competing from each hall.

The first of the winter individual tournaments, squash, is scheduled Monday with elimination rounds in the halls. The top two players of each hall will then compete in the freshman tournament for the Yard championship.