Five Beats Princeton as Canty Scores 20; Swimmers Trounce Dartmouth Team, 48-36

Falk Brothers Post Varsity, '588 Marks; Relay Disqualified

By L.thomas Linden

Two brothers, a Crimson sophomore and a freshman, swimming the same event on the same night for teams representing the same school, were two of six record breakers at the I.A.B. pool on Saturday. Unfortunately, both squads didn't emerge winners. The varsity defeated Dartmouth, 8 to 36, though the score should have been 55 to 29, but the Yardlings fell to their Green contemporaries, 44 to 40.

After Dave Falk set a 2:48.1 Crimson freshman record in the 200-yard orthodox breaststroke, chopping 3.1 seconds off a 1934 mark, older brother Sigo Falk, in the same event an hour and a half later, broke the varsity 2:33.9. This is the first time that brothers have held Crimson freshman and varsity marks for the same race, let along set similar records on the same evening.

Dave Hawkins posted another Crimson record when he broke the 150-yard individual medley mark for his fourth time in three years. His 1:31.9 bettered the 1:32.1 he did last January.

The varsity would have had a fourth record in the most exciting race of the evening with a 3:30.8 free style relay, but it was disqualified on a bad turn. The Crimson came back from the two-length deficit to "win" by a half length.

The other three records set went to Dartmouth. John Glover, after sprinting a 22.6.50, established anew I.A.B. pool mark for the 100 with a 50.1 clocking, though he has covered the distance even faster.

In the Yardling meet, the Green's Ernie Drosdick and Bill Bahrenburg set Dartmouth freshman records with a 2:14.3 220 and a 5:02.8 440 respectively.

The Crimson's Alan Rapperport nearly upset the visitors' Neil Sween in the 200-yard backstroke. Almost abreast of the touted Green sophomore for the first hundred yards, Rapperport pulled even in the next fifty and was barely ahead in the last leg when Sween, as if shifting into overdrive, touched out first in his best time of the year, 2:19.5.

Varsity Captain Ted Whatley gave Dartmouth's Creight Hart a pounding race for second place in the 220 behind Jim Jorgenson's 2:10.1.