THROW THE RASCALS OUT

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Dean Henry's statement in Tuesday's CRIMSON serves very well to make explicit the position of athletics at Harvard. That prospective football players should be interviewed by coaches instead of by academic men is precisely the point: Harvard is the one American representative of a number of universities, especially in England and Germany, which exist for intellectual purposes. If a person wants only to play football, he can find hundreds of other colleges where he can display his talents.

Harvard has become one of the last strongholds of the real scholar in this country, an das such should not attempt to draw other types. In my freshman year in the College, I was put in a room with three athletes since I myself had played football in preparatory school. All had been given scholarships which depended on their full-time participation in athletics, and wee hardly capable of contributing intellectually to the College.

The announcement in the CRIMSON last term of the amazingly high percentage of tuition which goes for athletics makes the situation poignant, especially to those who, for their $200, only have opportunity to take an occasional swim in the I.A.B. It seems unjust that the money and the space in the limited enrollment should be taken by people who would derive quite as much from another college, when there are thousands of highly intelligent young minds wanting to come to Harvard.

I think Harvard would do well to follow the lead of Chicago's Chancellor Hutchins and abolish emphasized football. John S. Winthrop 21.