Yale to Require $10 Fee With All New Applications

Yale has become the first of the Big Three schools to require a $10 fee from each applicant, in an effort to meet the rising costs of processing admissions applications.

Similar action is expected from Harvard and Princeton before the beginning of the next school year. Previously, the deans of admissions of the two schools indicated that they were considering imposing such a fee.

The new ruing, approved Saturday by Yale's Corporation, is also designed to reduce the number of multiple applicants. The admissions officer stressed, however, that the move was made primarily because of financial necessity.

No Drop In Applicants

Arthur Howe, Jr., director of admissions at Yale, said the fee is not expected to cause a major drop in the number of applications. He said their schools which had recently adopted admission fees had suffered no loss in applicants.

"The tremendous sum of money spent by the admissions office has made it imperative that candidates share the expenses," Howe added. He estimated that the University spent $20 for each applicant. Applications have been increasing an average of eight per cent each year for the last five years, and could reach 10,000 by 1965 because of the tremendous rise in population, he said.