Crimson Relay Team Victor at B.A.A. Meet

The varsity mile relay team rushed to an impressive victory over Princeton and Yale, but missed the all-time Crimson record of 3:20.5 by four-tenths of a second, in the BAA meet last Saturday night.

In the first lap, Captain Bob Rittenburg took an early lead which was not threatened until Princeton's heptagonal quarter-mile champion, Joe Meyers, narrowed the Crimson's margin in the last lap.

But anchorman Dave Alpers ran the varsity's fastest quarter, 49.4 seconds, to finish ahead of Meyers. Dick Wharton ran the second lap in 49.7, and Renny Little passed the baton to Alpers after a 50 second quarter.

Alpers Sets 440 Mark

Alpers' time was a full second slower than his quarter in the race which set the existing record in the BAA last year. this can be partly attributed to his participation in the Ryder 440.

Before running in the mile relay, Alpers set a record of 49.8 in the Ryder race. His finishing sprint put him well ahead of Tufts' Steve Wilkie, who had peaten Arnold Howe in last year's Knights of Columbus Meet, Little in this year's K of C, and who had never lost to a Crimson quarter-miler.

Dillard Wins Hurdles

Ritenburg worked his way to the finals in the hurdles, but failed to place in a race won by Harrison Dillard in 56 seconds. Dillard remained undefeated in BAA hurdles competition by edging Penn State's Red Perry, and Jack Davis.

A slow start in a semi-final heat kept the Crimson's second hurdler, Joel Cohen, out of the finals.