Need a Course: I

The Classgoer

Today the CRIMSON takes its semi-annual plunge into the study counseling field with a brief introduction to some promising Monday, Wednesday, and Friday courses. Tomorrow's edition will review the Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday entrants.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:--Teddy Roosevelt charges up San Juan Hill in Harvard 2, under the watchful eye of Ernest May, as the United States emerges from isolationism to fight the Spanish American War. History 164b traces the history of American foreign policy right up to the conflict in the Formosa Straits.

Beowulf rides again in William Alfred's "Early English Literature," English 100a, meeting in Longfellow 110. Following Anglo-Saxon writing from 540 to 1054, Alfred will emphasize poetry and early conceptions of the hero. No knowledge of Old English is required.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10:--Samuel Eliot Morison, giving History 160c for the last time before his retirement, casts an old sailor's eye on Washington crossing the Delaware and decides that even a general shouldn't stand up in the boat. Morison also takes a close look in Harvard 2 at the heated convention in Philadelphia in 1787 and the subsequent battle over the ratification of the Constitution.

In Government 135, "Party Government in the U.S.," V. O. Key tries to explain what all the shouting every four years is about. Pressure groups also come in for their share of attention in Littauer Auditorium.

The most talented of the musical Bachs, Johann Sebastian, entertains the connoisseurs in Music 126, held in Music Building 2. Assistant Professor Allen Sapp is disc jockey.

Confucius, Tu Fu and assorted other poets, philosophers, novelists, and playwrights prove that the West has no monopoly on literary genius in Humanities 112, "Classics of the Far East." Associate Professor James R. Hightower lifts the Bamboo Curtain for a look at 2,500 years of Chinese and Japanese great books, in Sever 6.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11:--David Owen opens innumerable Victorian closets in History 142b and finds an astonishing number of skeletons, to the accompaniment of laughter from an appreciative audience, in Sever 11. Disraeli, Gladstone, Churchill, and the rest pass in review in a fascinating study of the English and why they act the way they do.

Slavic 155 gives students a chance to read almost all the major works of Dostoievski and Tolstoy. Professor Renato Poggioli plays the Grand Inquistor in Emerson A.

Douglas Bush travels from Paradise to Hell and back again in, English 131, a study of Milton's major and not-so-major writings, centering at Boylston 22.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 12:--Some of the world's great contemporary philosophers argue it out in Emerson A, scene of Professor John D. Wild's "Introduction to Philosophy." Naturalism, existentialism and realism are among the schools represented.