Hockey Team Beats Princeton, 6-2; To Face Brown in Crucial Game

PRINCETON, N.J.-Princeton's best wasn't good enough. A young Tiger sextet struggled desperately to match the hockey team's superior talent with good old-fashioned fight, but could not last past the first period Saturday as the Crimson ran its streak to eight straight, winning 6 to 2.

Tomorrow night the East's top-ranked sextet faces its only real Ivy challenge, a starry but teamless Brown squad. The Crimson will be out to erase memories of its previous tie with the quick-tempered Bruins and to gain undisputed possession of the League lead, which it now shares with Brown. The face-off is at 9 p.m., in the Lynn Arena.

Bill Cleary's two goals against the Tigers early in the second period broke a 1 to 1 tie and completely eliminated any Princeton hopes for its biggest upset of the season. Joe Crehore shared offensive honors with Cleary, netting two more tallies in the final stanza.

After the opening period, when Coach Weiland's varied line combinations began to dominate play, the Crimson's only opposition came from lineman George Scragg and the rabid mass of Tiger fans which filled the Hobey Baker stands to capacity.

Goalie Charlie Flynn, whose saves were few but among his best this season, may be an important factor in tomorrow's contest with Brown. The Bruins' offense is built mainly about talented soloists who have been noted to avoid extensive teamwork. Among the team's outstanding linemen are League high scorers Peto Tutless, Dan Keefe, and Dan Thompson.

Brown's defensive system shows the Bruin at his grizzly best, and not infrequently have the Providence skaters tried to settles disputes with gloves on fighting.

Co-Captain Dave Halvorsen, in the nets, should play as equally an important role for his team as Flynn. Halvorsen is a hot-and-cold goalie who usually plays his best against the Crimson.

The lineup against Princeton was shuffled in a consistent fashion so that almost everyone worked with at least two different combinations. This system gave the team enough resting time to keep up a fast pace throughout the game and even score a seventh goal as the final buzzer sounded.