Dorsen Sets Goal of Spring Charity Drive at $25,000

The goal of this year's Combined Charities Drive, which starts Monday, will be $25,000, David M. Dorsen '56 co-chairman of the Drive, announced last night.

This is the first year the Drive will be conducted under one administration covering the College and all graduate schools in Cambridge, Dorsen said. With door-to-door solicitation he hopes to increase considerably the $17,000 total collected last year throughout the University.

Solicitors will try to visit 4,700 resident students during next week, he said. In addition, a solicitation card, brochure, and return envelope will be mailed to 3,500 commuters.

Six Recommended Charities

On the solicitation card there will be six recommended charities and additional space for the donors' own personal choices, Dorsen said. Each student may divide up his donation in any desired proportion. The Combined Charities Committee will then allocate the correct amount to each charity.

The six recommended charities are all "student-oriented with the exception of Red Feather," according to Edward M. Strasser '56, the other co-chairman. Besides Red Feather, the list includes: Phillips Brooks House, the World University Service, the Salzburg Seminar, American Friends Service Committee, and the National Scholarship Service and Fund for Negro Students.