Radcliffe Expects Rise in Applicants For Class of '59

Applications for next year's Radcliffe freshman lass have risen substantially, following a similar trend in the nation's men's colleges, Miss Constance Ballou, Director of Admissions, said yesterday.

Figures will not be released until March 1, when all application are due, but Miss Ballou said that there is already a noticeable increase in the number of applicants as compared to last year.

The percentage is not as great as the Admission Office expected, however, on the basis of last year's considerable use.

"The number of applicants to Radcliffe has been growing steadily over the past few years," Miss Ballou added, "and this is happening at women's colleges all over the country, especially those in the East."

Rise in Population

The nation-wide increase in applications is due partly to a corresponding rise in the country's population, she said. "There seem to be more people of college age, and also a greater motivation to go to college. The peak year for applications will probably be 1960," she added.

Multiple applications have also contributed to the annual increase. Although preparatory and high schools try to limit the number of entrance blanks their students submit, girls doubtful about where to attend college or where they will be admitted often apply to many.

Competition for acceptance will probably be intensified by the large number of applicants, Miss Ballou said, but Radcliffe as yet has no plans for expansion. Letters notifying prospective students of acceptance or rejection go out May 12.