Yale Students May Have Unlimited Class Cuts Despite Official Denial

By Christopher Jencks

Despite administration denials issued this week, several members of the Yale faculty contacted last night indicated that unlimited class cuts are a definite possibility for next year.

Action of the proposal is contingent upon the recommendations of the Course of Study Committee, which will report next month, and faculty members indicated that there is a strong possibility conservatives would back unlimited cuts as a compromise maneuver.

One Master, who wished his name withhold, said that while he opposed unlimited cuts on principle, he might vote for them to forestall action of the Course of Study Committee's plan.

He explained that unlimited cuts had been so unsuccessful in the past that the move would probably be repealed after a brief trial period, and that such an experiment would reafirm the impracticality of President Griswold's recommendations.

William Emerson, Master of Calhoun, opposed the plan on the grounds that "students candidly admit that they out classes and regret it afterwards." He believed that the majority of the faculty also opposed the change.

He said that there was more hope for a plan restricted to upperclassmen who "have a more serious approach to their academic problems."

Norman Pierson, professor of English, also opposed unlimited cuts for large lecture courses, and indicated that it would be of little importance for the smaller courses. He predicted a 40 percent decline in lecture attendance if unlimited cuts were allowed.

In a statement to the Daily News, Dean Wiggin said yesterday that no change was impending. On Thursday, a high was impending. On Thursday, a high University official told the CRIMSON that "there is a definite possibility of a vote, on a matter of each marked faculty interest."