Crimson Fives Outplays Yale, 68-53, Ending Year With 3-11 Ivy Record

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

A long and sometimes disappointing season, ended happily for Floyd Wilson and his varsity quintet Saturday night. Avenging last week's four-point defeat, the Crimson completely outplayed Yale, 68 to 53. The victory, combined with Brown's loss to Columbia, practically assured the Crimson of a three-way tie for sixth place in the Ivy League. The varsity and the Blue have 3-ll records while the Bruins have a 3-10 mark, and play Princeton of a three-way tie for sixth place in Ivy League. The varsity and the Blue have 3-11 records, while the Bruins have a 3-10 mark, and play Princeton tonight.

One of the largest crowds at the IAB all season saw the skillfully-coached crimson defeat the Elis at their own type of game. Wilson, in his first year as varsity coach, broke the game open in the second half by having his tem hold on to the ball, a favorite maneuver of the Blue's Howard Hobson. This forced Yale out of its zone defense, and allowed the Crimson to score almost at will.

Seniors Bow Out Gracefully

Ike Canty, the Crimson's 6-4 sophomore center, was high scorer with 23 points, 14 in the second half, but Captain Roger Bulger was the outstanding player on the court. In his last game for the varsity. Bulger scored 15 points, his all-time high, and led the Crimson on offense with his good ball-handling and dribbling. The only other senior on the team, forward Dick Manning, was indispensible underneath the backboards, and contributed five field goals.

The Elis, led by Ed Robinson and Dave Hebson, took a quick 13-7 lead at the 5:15 mark in the first half, their largest lead of the night. The crimson kept fighting back and at 17:30 a jump shot by Manning tied the score at 23-23.

Holding Technique Succeeds

As the second half opened, Wilson ordered his team to hold the ball at mid-court, and not to shoot unless a man was open underneath. The tactic worked very well with the Crimson never losing the lead.

With the score 53-48 and six minutes to go, the Crimson scored eight straight points in two minutes to put the game well beyond the Elis' reach. Canty and Bulger each tallied four in this short spurt. the Crimson's season record is 6-17.

In the wildest scoring game over seen in the IAB, the Eli freshmen crushed the Yardlings, 112 to 78. Scoring 56 points in each half, the junior Blues were far superior to the Crimson. Yale's 6-10 center, Jerry Glenn, led all the scorers in the debacle with 29 points.