Crimson Tops Yale Six, 4-1; Cleary Scores Four Points

By Charles Steedman

The Yale hockey team came as close to beating the varsity in New Haven Saturday as hustle and determination can come to matching ability. The final score: 4 to 1.

By winning, the Crimson became the first undefeated team in Ivy League play since Dartmouth's 1948 sextet. The varsity ended the regular season with a 16-2-1 record, and goes to Colorado unbeaten in its last 13 games.

Center Bill Cleary scored twice and assisted on the other two goals, bringing his season's total to 84, one less than the Eastern NCAA record set last week by Whitey Hamilton of Tufts.

The Elis tried to salvage their ninth win in 23 starts with hard skating, aggressive forechecking, and close coverage; for two periods they came dangerously close to success. A Yale defense, much improved over last week, even resorted to diving in front of shots and passes before they could reach goalie George Scherer.

The steady play of three seniors, who were playing their last game in the East, was instrumental in the win. Coolidge picked up a goal and an assist with his usual aggressive play, defensemen Ned Almy continued his brilliant work of trying up the opposing offense, and Doug Manchester scored once and assisted twice.

Cleary opened the scoring at 5:25 of the first period by deflecting Manchester's blue-line shot into the lower left corner. In the second period, prolonged clearing troubles allowed Yale to intercept a pass, and Pete Crisp tied the score with a hard shot into the extreme upper left at 6:05.

The varsity moved into the lead once again on Cleary's goal 40 seconds later, assisted by Joe Crehore. Cooledge's deciding tally in the final stanza came when he batted Manchester's pass from the boards past a helpless Scherer.