Colleges to Equal Fund for Raising Pay of Faculties

Each institution which receives part of the new $50,000,000 ford foundation endowment fund must match every Foundation dollar with one, two, or three dollars of its own, depending of the ratio which an advisory committee decides on, a Foundation spokesman announced yesterday.

The fundamental aim of the grants is to supplement teachers' salaries and make the profession more attractive to professors and instructors who may be forced to leave the field because of economic necessity.

In clarifying a Foundation statement released yesterday, the spokesman said that there will be at least 50 colleges included in the program, and that serious attention will be given to the University. This does not mean, however, that the University will definitely be included in the grant, for decisions as to what college will receive grants and the amounts given to individual institutions will rest in the hands of an advisory committee which has not been chosen yet.

Before final selections are made, the committee will make an analysis of the nation's colleges. Final disbursements under the program are not expected to take place before the end of 1957.

Henry Ford 11, chairman of the board of trustees of the Foundation, said when making the grant, "Nowhere are the needs of the private colleges more apparent than in the matter of faculty salaries. Merely to restore professors' salaries to their 1939 purchasing power would require an average increase of at least 20 percent."

Colleges which receive grants must keep the money in an endowment fund, usingly the interest incurred for salary raises. The amount they contribute to match the fund may be handled in any way the individual institutions see fit.