Varsity Nine Seeks Sixth Straight In Postponed Tufts Contest Today

Barring a recurrence of yesterday's rain, the varsity nine will take the field at 3:45 today in postponed game against Tufts seeking its sixth straight triumph.

With its only defeat coming at the hands of a Quantico Marine Base team, which was bolstered by ex-collegiate and professional stars, the Crimson is currently atop the Greater Boston Collegiate League standings with a 3-0 record.

Left-hander Bob Kessler will have his first starting assignment of the season. The control artist has earned this berth by pitching seven innings of one-hit ball in relief since the spring trip. He had the only winning record on the team last hear, winning two and losing one, with a 4 runs-per-game earned run average.

shepard Changes Pitchers

Coach Norm Shepard had planned to pitch his ace, Andy Ward, against the Jumbos yesterday, but the rain changed his plan. "I want to use Ward in the Army game Friday," Shepard explained. The game at Army will be the opener of the varsity's Eastern Intercollegiate League schedule.

Tufts coach Jit Ricker plans to start John McGrath, the team's leading pitcher for the past two years. In the Jumbos' only game to date, McGrath led Tufts to a 9-3 victory over Boston University.

A veteran team will face the varsity: seven starters are returnees from last year's team which took fourth place in Boston League play, one notch above the Crimson. The opposition batting attack will be headed by Dick Murphy, last year's leading hitter. He began where he left off by hitting 3 for 4 against B.U. John Bonasia is another threat, since he clouted two doubles against the Terriers.

The Crimson lineup will be the same as started the last two games. However, the infield committeed seven damaging errors in the 13 to 6 Brandeis game, and might be shifted around if its play does not pick up.