Herter Vetoes Measure to Fine Underage Purchasers of Liquor

Governor Christian A. Herter yesterday vetoed the bill which would have made it criminal for a minor to purchase any alcoholic beverage for his own consumption. The bill would have provided fines of $10 to $100.

"The primary burden of responsibility for an illegal sale of alcoholic beverages to minors should rest with the vendor and not the minor unless the latter has falsified his age," the Governor said in his veto message.

As the law now stands, the minor can be fined only if he lies about his age to obtain alcoholic beverages.

Fitchburg Representative Joseph D. Ward, who introduced the bill, said last night that he had expected the Governor to request "a watered-down version" or veto the bill. "Apparently he learned that a watered-down bill would be unacceptable to legislative leaders, so he vetoed," Ward explained.

Legislative action on the vetoed bill will begin again in a few days, but Ward predicted that the veto would stand. It is "very unlikely" that the two-thirds vote necessary to override the veto can be mustered, he said.

Harvard Square bartenders did not expect the action to affect business very much.