Crimson Defeats West Pint, 11-2, In Tennis Match

Coach Jack Barnaby's varsity tennis team defeated a mediocre Army squad Saturday, 11 to 3, on windblown Soldiers Field courts. It was the Crimson's sixth win of the season and second straight in League competition.

Barnaby said that the team "was not as sharp as against Presbyterian, but then again it didn't have to be. Too frequently we win the first set and relax and lose the second, forcing the match into three sets," he added. "We need to keep the pressure on at all times."

At one, the Crimson's Ham Graven outlasted Art Ellison, 6-1, 4-6, 7-5. Gravem's ground strokes were not as steady as usual, although his net play and mid-court volleying were consistently sharp. In a close two set match, Army's captain and number two, Roland Nordlie, edged Captain Alex Haegler, whose game was somewhat erratic.

In another close match, Brooks Harris, Crimson number three out-fought Joe Grubbs, 6-4, 4-6, 8-6. During the match Harris developed a bad blister and was unable to play in the doubles. At four, Conrad Fischer continued his fine play with an easy victory over Bill Bailey, winning 6-4, 6-3.

In first doubles, Mayers, replacing Harris, and Haegler were very powerful at net in overwhelming Ellison and Nordlie, 6-3, 6-1. Gravem and Ben Heckscher, however, played very erratically in dropping a three set match to Bob Roades and Grubbs.