Tennis Team Drops Indians, 12-4; Undefeated '58 Squad Wins Easily

By Lewis M. Steel

The varsity tennis team snapped a two-match losing streak yesterday by completely overpowering Dartmouth, 12 to 4, on the Soldiers Field tennis courts.

In the Crimson's sweep of the first seven singles matches, only Alex Haegler at two was extended to three sets. He and the Indians' Dave Kerr played fast, driving tennis. Haegler's cannonball service and smashing overhead finally provided the winning margin, as he took the match, 9-7, 3-6, 7-5.

Both Dan Mayers and Maynard Canfield had to play one extra-game set before winning their fourth and fifth position matches, but neither were pushed to their best tennis to win. Ham Gravem, Brooks Harris, Ben Heckscher, and Karl Purwell coasted to victories in the other top singles matches while losing a combined total of only 22 games.

Al Macs, defeated Steve Kay at eight for the first Indian win, but Geoff Ball came back for the Crimson and downed Tony Jenks in the next match, both contests going three sets. The varsity and Dartmouth split the last two singles matches, with Conrad Fisher posting the Crimson victory at eleven in straight sets.

Doubles Win Three of Five

In doubles, the home team won three out of five matches. The varsity's first combinations, Harris and Haegler, dominated the net and overpowered Dave Kerr and Fred Darche, 7-5, 6-2. The Ball-Heckscher and Banks-Kay teams easily took their matches at third and fifth positions, both combinations recording one love set in their victories.

The freshman tennis squad remained undefeated by whipping Dartmouth, 11 to 1, on the home courts. The Crimson only lost the eight singles match, and won every other contest in straight sets. First man Dale Junts started in both singles and doubles for the Yardlings.