Faculty Housing Units Planned for Cambridge

University Unveils Project for Apartments In Shady Hill Region; Residents Hesitant

The University yesterday unveiled its plan to increase low-cost faculty housing facilities in the Cambridge area, and immediately ran into unexpectedly strong protests from residents in the area bordering on the Divinity School and Francis Avenue.

Officials of the University, led by President Pusey and Edward Reynolds '15, administrative vice-president, met with families living in the Shady Hill section of Cambridge to present them with preliminary plans for the proposed housing development.

Preliminary plans call for construction of a 100 suite, seven-to-ten story apartment building with approximately ten nearby garden apartments. The modernistic building would be constructed on park property now owned by the University behind the Divinity School and bordered by the Cambridge city line, Francis Avenue, and Bryant Street.

Obstructing such a development is the present zoning law for the area, which will not permit construction of an apartment building. The City Planning Board will hear the objections of any present residents living on land bordering the proposed development before it considers changing the zoning restrictions.

University to Lease Land

Unlike the Botanical Gardens housing development, which was financed by the University this project would be constructed and operated by an outside agency, presumably an insurance company. The University would lease land to the company at the minimum cost of city taxes and the company would in turn give preference to faculty members desiring to live in the apartments.

Speaking before the group assembled in Hunt Hall. President Pusey said: "When I first arrived here. I was distressed to find that so few faculty members, especially the young instructors, actually lived in Cambridge. I think we lose a great deal when our faculty gets spread out over a wide area. Our hope is that we can use this land as a way to help some faculty live close by."

Residents Question Economy

Some residents present, however, led by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, professor of History, questioned whether or not such a development would prove inexpensive enough to attract young faculty members. Others present also objected that the proposed construction would spoil the appearance of the neighborhood.

The apartment building would house duplex units on the ground floor and on the upper stories would contain "efficiency" one bedroom apartments as well as two bedroom units. All apartments would face onto the park.

The plans were first begun two months age.