Golfers Lose at New Haven, 5-2, As Fehr Tops Cooney, 1-Up, at End

As Captain Ted Cooney goes, so goes the varsity golf team, at least that's what Yale's 5-2 victory over the Crimson last Friday would indicate. The senior captain, playing his last match against the Elis, lost to his New Haven counterpart and three-year rival, Captain Jerry Fehr, 1-up in a match which was undecided until the 18th holo.

Cooney (shown at left watching Fehr swing his driver) has lost to the Eli four times over the past three years. His only other dual-meet defeats this season were at the hands of Holy Cross and Boston College, when the team also lost. Both players finished Friday with identical 74 scores.

Of Cooney's teammates, only Brock Stokes and Bruce Thurmond won their matches. Stokes, who reached the semifinals of the Eastern Intercollegiate Tournament in New Haven a week ago, defeated Ned-Vare, 4 and 3. Thurmond dropped Dave Clovis, 2 and 1.

While the varsity was losing on the course at the Charles River Country Club the Yardling team also fell there to the Elis by the same score, 5 to 2.