Yardlings Lose, Eliot Wins House Track

Dunster, Adams Trail In Elephants' Easy Victory on Friday

Eliot won the inter-House track and field championship Saturday, sweeping four out of the five field events to compile a total of 69 points in the two-day competition. The winners had built up a slim lead in the running events Thursday.

Second place Dunster was far back with 28 points, followed by Adams in third with 24 1/2. Lowell scored 19, Kirkland 18 1/2, Winthrop 13, and Dudley and Leverett tied with 10 points each for last place.

The only non-Elephant who won a first place in Friday's field events was Marion Cheek of Leverett who threw the 12-pound shot 58 feet, 8 1/4 inches. Nick Ludington, Phil Eastabrooks, Fletcher Hodges and Tony Gianelly, all of Eliot, won the broad jump, javelin, high jump, and discus events respectively.

In Yard competition, Matthews, South won the freshman track and field events with 34 points. Grays was second with 32, followed by Wigglesworth East and Thayer North in third and fourth places with 13 and 10 points each. Pete deVegh of Matthews South turned in one of the best personal performances in the meet in winning the broad jump with a leap of 19 feet, 6 1/2 inches, and equaling Saul Rosenthal's first place in the 220-yard run. Rosenthal ran for Matthews North.

Joe Herlihy of Thayer South leaped 5 feet, 5 inches in the high jump to take first place, and later in the day also triumphed in the shot put with a throw of 45 feet, 9 inches.