Track Captain Rittenburg Receives William J. Bingham Athlete Prize

Robert Rittenburg '55 of Boeton and Dunster House, last night received the second annual William J. Bingham Award for the athlete Whose "Integrity, courage, leadership, and ability has best served the high purpose of Harvard, exemplified by Bingham," a former middle distance runner.

Athletic Director Thomas D. Bolles awarded the prize at the annual track dinner, in the Union, Rittenburg, the varsity track captain, last Saturday turned in one of the most outstanding feats in the College's history by winning four events, taking two second places, and breaking a varsity record, as he led the track team to a narrow 70 1/2-69 2/2 victory over Yale.

Rittenburg this season won the indoor Heptagonal hurdles title and the outdoor broad jump. In his sophomore year Rittenburg ran for the United States in the Maccabee Games in Israel, and was named the outstanding athlete in the tournament. Last year's winner of the award was Thomas J. Coolidge '54, a football and hookey star.

Winners of the award have their names carved into a large plaque which hangs on the wall of the Dillon Field House.