'30 Whoops It Up at Boston Pops, Will Visit Essex County Club Today

Biltcliffe Class Soloist; Violinists Use Bows To Swat Balloons

From "Up the Street" to "Fair Harvard," 1930 broke loose in 25th Reunion song at its Symphony Hall Pops Concert last night. Even the violinists, swatting crimson balloons with their bows, had a good time.

After the reunioners dined at tables set up in the large auditorium, their progeny were whisked to balconies from the Hasty Pudding and Union, where they had dined and danced, by chartered busses surrounded by a screaming motorcycle escort.

At this point conductors Arthur Fiedler and Harry Ellis Dickson took over. They swung the orchestra into the semiclassics, the nostalgic songs of the years when 1930 was young, and finally riotously outrageous parodies of current pop hits, including an assassination of "Davy Crockett."

But the reunion class had someone special to applaud on the more serious side of the program. Its own Edward Biltcliffe '30 performed as piano soloist with the orchestra playing Lisst's "Hungarian Fantasy."

'Fair Harvard' Concludes

Then "Wintergreen for President" and the traditional standing rendition of "Fair Harvard" sent 1930 lilting home.

During the day, the Phi Beta Kappa parade and exercises and "The Undergraduate," 1930's second symposium, combined with luncheon and cocktails at Harkness Graduate Commons. Tours, punch parties, swimming, and other sports occupied reunion children, while the adults attended a memorial service.

Today's activities center around the Essex County Club. Buses for adults and seniors begin leaving at 9 a.m. directly for the Club or via tours through Salem.

If golf, tennis, and baseball fail to occupy the reunioner at Essex, facilities will be ready for transportation to Singing Beach swimming and Manchester Yacht Club boat trips. Gloucester and Rockport tours are also scheduled.

Cocktails and lunch with drinks and supper will be served at the Essex County Club.

1930 junior and intermediate offspring leave the Union at 9:15 a.m. to picnic for the day at Magnolia Beach, after which both groups will return to Cambridge for supper, junior magic show, and intermediate movies. The seniors will join their elders in Essex square dancing.

In case of New England weather, juniors and intermediates will return to Cambridge for a special program, while the older crowd will find square dancing at the Manchester High School Auditorium.