Leading Legal Minds Honor Marshall on 200th Birthday

A galaxy of judges, and some 700 lawyers and laymen met Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to debate and ponder "Government Under Law" at the Marshall Bicentennial Conference.

The conference, sponsored and paid for by the Rockefeller Foundation, gathered to honor the 200th anniversary of the birth of John Marshall, described as "the most important architect of American constitutional Law" throughout the conference.

High ranking jurists from England, Canada, Australia, and the Union of South Africa also recited the debts owed to the great Chief Justice by the law of their respective countries.

In the closing address of the conference, Earl Warren, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, praised the meeting as an invaluable exercise in the fundamentals of constitutionalism which all the justices of the Supreme Court should attend each year before the regular October sitting of the Court.

Warren delivered his speech in a flag bedecked Memorial Hall at the formal banquet which concluded the three-day session.

John Lord O'Brian, eminent Washington lawyer and last year's Godkin Lecturer, spoke on "The Value of Constitutionalism Today." His description of a "consistent trend inimical to all previous concepts of freedom' 'received particular acclaim from members of the conference.