Protestant Leaders Honor New Divinity School Dean

Some 500 leaders of the Protestant church met in New York Wednesday to honor Doughlas Horton as Neil Dean of the Divinity School. At a dinner in the Riverside Church, Horton's efforts as minister of the General Council of the Congregational Christian Churches was recognized by the clergymen with whom he had worked for 17 years.

Included in the plaudits was a message from President Pusey, read by his assistant, William Bentinck-Smith '27, expressing confidence in the new Dean's ability to lead the Divinity school to new and wider Christian service.

"We expect Dr. Horton to explore new ways in which schools of theology can help the work of the churches and at the same time help lay people to richer understanding of Christian life," said the message.

Dean Especially Fitted

Pusey continued by saying the University's confidence in Horton stemmed from his long service to Congregationalism, "which, more than any other, is Harvard's historic faith." During this time, Pusey cited Horton as always thinking in terms of the whole Christian church, rather than in more limited manner.

Because of his interest in new developments toward ecumenicity, Pusey felt Horton "especially fitted to guide the fortunes of our reawakening school of religious studies at this time."

Horton was also praised by his fellow workers in the General Council. Dr. Samuel McCrae Cavert, representing the Worled Council of Churches, called Horton one of the most conspicuous leaders in the faith and order aspect of the World Council.

During the dinner, the Congregational Christian Churches announced the establishment of a Horton scholarship at the Divinity school for Congregational students from foreign countries.

Other honors included presentation of a cross carved of wood from Hornings-ham chapel, the oldest free church in England.