President Dodds Will Retire From Princeton in 1957

Harold W. Dodds, fifteenth president of Princeton University, recently revealed that he would definitely retire in June 1957, contrary to persistent rumors that he would retire at the end of the present academic year.

Dodds, who will be 68 on June 28, 1957, must leave then, however, since a University ruling states that all Princeton faculty members have to retire at 68.

At the same time, Dodds said that Princeton's undergraduate enrollment will remain approximately the same for the next two years. "The simple fact is that the lack of dormitory, dining and laboratory facilities makes it impossible for us to accommodate any significant percentage increase in the student body," he pointed out.

The Graduate School, however, will expand, he said, "if substantial financial problems concerning housing can be overcome."

If he remains in office until 1957, Dodds will have been president for 24 years, longer than any of his predecessors.

He was inaugurated as president on June 19, 1933, and has received honorary degrees from more than 20 colleges and universities. He has also served as a special consultant to Nicaragua and Cuba.

Dodds received his A.B. from the Grove City (Pa.) College in 1909, an M.A. from Princeton in 1914, and his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1917.