Two Dramatic Organizations Will Present Shakespeare

HDC Lists 'Macbeth' As Fall Production

The Harvard Dramatic Club has decided to present Shakespeare's "Macbeth" as its major fall production instead of its original choice of Arthur Miller's "Death of Salesman."

Although the HDC announced its selection of the Miller Play last spring the club last week decided to substitute the Shakespeare production. But instead of opening the play in Cambridge, the HDC will take it on tour for two weeks prior to its opening here on Nov. 22.

In announcing the plans for the tour, the HDC indicated that arrangements are being made to present the play in various high schools, prep schools, and colleges in the nearby Massachusetts area as well as in alumni clubs in the East. Plans are also under way to give "Macbeth" in the New York City Poetry Center.

In Cambridge, the production will probably be given in Agassiz for an unlimited stand.

The idea for the tour was inspired, the Club said, by the success of the Children's Theatre last year with "Alice in Wonderland." To facilitate transportation of the play, the HDC will use simple collapsible sets, with strong emphasis put on the lighting, which is under the supervision of Jordan Jelks '57.

John Poppy '57, president of the HDC, has announced that open casting for the play will being this afternoon in Phillips Brooks House, and continue through Monday. Woodruff Price '56 and Lucia Stein '57 will co-produce the play, and William Meador '58 will be the director. Donald Bourne of the Graduate School of Design will design the sets.