Curators for Mollusks, Reptiles Lurk Among University Faculty

The name of William J. Clonch, though it may mean little to the average undergraduate, is surely familiar to three other members of the University, George 10. Moore, Richard W. Foster, and Morrill 10. Champion. Clench is, of course, the Curator of Mollusks. Moore, Foster, and Champion are, naturally, Associates in Mollusks.

This hierarchy of mollusk men is not the least of the wonders hidden among the pages of the University Directory. The careful reader will note that Philip T. Darlington is Curator of Recent Insects and James C. Greenway is Curator of Birds.

For men of special merit, the University reserves honorary titles. Thus William A. M. Burden is Honorary Curator of Aviation Literature in Baker Library, while Dard Hunter is Honorary Curator of Paper-Making and Allied Arts.

William Bentinck-Smith, assistant to the President, spends his spare time honorably curating Type Specimens and Letter Designs. Edwin B. Bartram, long a breeder of bryophytes, presently holds the position of Honorary Curator of Mosses in the Farlow Herbarium.

One of the oldest titles in the University is that of Dr. George W. Thorn, who is Hersey Professor of the Theory and Practice of Physic. Less well-known is Bartol Brinkler, assistant in charge of Subject Cataloguing in the Harvard College Library.

Less than likely to cross the path of the average student are Arthur G. Aldersey Williams (Visiting Lecturer on Illumination), Harl Aldrich (Soil Mechanics), Douglas Atwood (Prosthetic Dentistry), and John H. Harrison (Clinical Professor of Genito-Urinary Surgery).

The shortest title is that of Roy V. Perry, Bursar. Paul C. Mangelsdorf, on the other hand, is not only Professor of Botany, but also Director of the Botanical Museum, Supervisor of the Bussey Institution, Chairman of the Institute for Research in Experimental and Applied Botany, Member of the Faculty of Peabody Museum, and Member of the Board of Syndics of the Harvard University Press.

Occasionally the Associate in Charge of Naming apparently just gets fed up with the whole business. How else to explain the position of Stanley M. Jacks, Special Lecturer without Title.