Relays, Hurdles, Varsity Features In K. of C. Meet

Joel Cohen, the varsity's ace hurdler, came within a step or two of pulling a major upset in the annual Knights of Columbus Meet at the Boston Garden Saturday evening. Cohen placed third in the 45-yard high hurdles behind Harrison Dillard, the Male Athlete of the Year who won his eighteenth consecutive K. of C. race.

In another Crimson highlight of the meet, the varsity mile relay team ran away from both Yale and Princeton to win by a quarter lap in the excellent time of 3:22.4. Al Wills, a converted miler, ran a fast third leg which opened up a big lead for anchorman Dick Wharton. Mike Robertson led off, and he was followed by French Anderson.

Jim Cairns came within a foot of beating Yale's Bob Skerrett for the Eddie Farrell 500 title. When he made his move, with a lap and a half to go, he was in the outside lane, and never was able to get into the inside.

Varsity coach Bill McCurdy was especially encouraged by the showing of his dash men, as all four Crimson entrants, Norm Bruck and Art Mayo of the varsity, and Yardlings Joel Landau and Nate Dodge, made the semi-finals. None reached the finals, however.

The K. of C. Meet, an invitational meet, attracted the best athletes in the nation. Competing this year in addition to Dillard were such Olympic stars as Bob Richards in the pole vault, and Horace Ashenfelter in the two mile event.