McFarland Suggests Biotechnology As Public Health School Program

The School of Public Health may soon institute a program to explore methods of coordinating human capabilities with the complexity and efficiency of the machines which they must operate, Dr. Ross A. McFarland, Associate Professor of Industrial Hygiene, revealed yesterday.

In a speech before the Conference of Industrial Health in Detroit, McFarland proposed the creation of a new science of human engineering or biotechnology. Such a science would presumably meet the problem of relating human capacity to the demands of modern machinery he said.

"The acceptance of such a program is up to the school's faculty, but most faculty members would probably favor such a move if funds can be made available," a School official said.

A School publication had previously pointed out that, with manufacturers of aircraft and automotive equipment already interested in sending design engineers to the School of Public Health it" courses in this area are "developed, "it seems logical that the School should develop a teaching and research program to meet this urgent need."

McFarland in Automotives

At the present time, McFarland, who is a leading authority on air safety, is interested mainly in the automotive area, because auto accidents kill more citizens than is any other cause. Relating this fact to biotechnology McFarland believes that car design "must be related to the biological characteristics of the driver, and the designer must not place unreasonable demands on him."