Committee Will Review Arts Report

Murdock Will Lead Investigating Group

By Steven R. Rivkin

The Faculty Committee on Educational Policy has named a special sixman subcommittee to examine conflicting views on reorganizing the study of art at the University.

Under the direction of Kenneth B. Murdock '16, Chairman of the Committee on General Education, the subcommittee will take as its starting point the recent report authored by John Nicholas Brown '22 on curriculum and departmental charges.

Other members of the Faculty study group representing the several disciplines involved in the Brown committee recommendations are Wilbur K. Jordan, President of Radcliffe; Arthur T. Merritt, Mason Professor of Music; Harry T. Levin '33, professor of English; Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the Faculty of Design; and Frederick B. Deknatel, Boardman Professor of Fine Arts.

Several Recommendations

The Brown report, produced last spring by a special Committee on the Visual Arts at Harvard, recommended the construction of a Design Center, the merger of the faculties of Fine Arts and Design, the construction of a Harvard Theatre, and certain changes in the Fine Arts curriculum for undergraduates.

Opposition among individual members of the Fine Arts Faculty is reportedly strong against combining the study of art with the University's architecture and design program, and against slanting undergraduate Fine Arts courses toward distribution rather than concentration.

But in a statement yesterday, Leonard Opdycke, department chairman, declined to comment for the time being on the official departmental reactions to the Brown report. "It would be inappropriate to state the views of the Department concerning the Brown Report until such a statement is authorized by the Administration," Opdycke said.