Houses Get $1400 Each From Foundation Grant

Funds Allotted for Educational Purposes Are to Be Used at 'Discretion of Masters'

By Philip M. Boffey

Approximately $1400 a year will be given to each of the seven Masters and the Allston Burr senior tutor of Dudley to use at their discretion for educational purposes, President Pusey announced yesterday.

The money will be supplied by the income from a part of last year's Ford Foundation grant. One portion of the $4,500,000 grant was specified for the purpose of increasing faculty salaries. Of the remaining $1,500,000, part has already been used to endow two professors' chairs. At least $230,000 of the rest will go to the Masters.

No specific instructions on how to use the money have been issued to the Masters, but certain areas have been unofficially vetoed. The Corporation has strongly advised the Masters not to use the income for maintenance funds or for the purposes of formal academic instruction.

Instead, the Corporation has urged that the money be used "to add to the net educational impact of the House in any way the Master sees fit." Among the numerous possibilities would be the strengthening of activities in the House, the purchase of needed equipment, and the inviting of distinguished guests.

"It would be wonderful to have an interesting figure occupy a suite in the House for a week or two," Leigh Hoadley, Master of Leverett, said. "He would add to the House just by being around for people to meet."

All of the other Masters who could be reached expressed great pleasure at receiving the money, but none has ideas as concrete as Hoadley's. "The difficult will not be to find projects," Joseph L. Walsh '16, Acting Master of Adams House, said, "but to decide among the many projects that merit support."

He thought his money might be used to aid students who are interested in dramatics, art, foreign languages, winetasting, or any of a dozen other things.

Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, and Elliot Perkins '23, Master of Lowell, said they were studying the problem, but had not yet made any definite decisions.