An Elder Speaks

One of Dean Elder's recent proposals on education recognizes that no direct and necessary relation exists between bluebooks, courses and effective education. The Dean has proposed a radical extension of one of the concepts in the advanced standing program. He would permit seniors to forego course requirements, attending such lectures and reading such books as they wished, under a tutor's guidance.

This idea has tremendous potentialities, and could represent a radical and most significant contribution by Harvard to American higher education. Intellectual development presupposes independent and creative thought, and unfortunately many of the University's trivial formalities only inhibit this growth.

But for full realization of the plan's possibilities, it must be extended. There is a strong implication in Elder's remarks that this fourth-year freedom would be restricted to students definitely planning to attend graduate school. Perhaps such plans can be construed as evidence of determination to study, but they are certainly not the only indication of an interest in developing one's mind. If education can be valuable to a man who will not seek a higher degree, as the College's existence presupposes, then this unique educational opportunity should be given to all with the faculties to use it, not just to those with plans for graduate school.

The concept should be extended to those seniors of high scholastic standing (probably Groups I and II), who satisfy their Departments that they possess the intellectual ability and maturity to pursue an independent program of education. And, of course, the program must be voluntary, for not all who meet the formal requirements will be willing not only to study, but to plan what they study.

Women are allowed in Haverford dormitories until 2 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, and until 3:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.