Braucher Lauds Ike as Leader, Praises Republican Organization

Professors and Politics-II

By Robert H. Sand

"No one can match Eisenhower's skill and success in meeting the major issues of the present campaign--war and peace," Robert Braucher, professor of law, said last night.

Braucher explained that Eisenhower's philosophy of leadership and the organization of the Republican party are the basis for his support of the President.

"The primary task of the modern leader," said Braucher, "is not to make decisions, but to create an atmosphere in which correct decisions can be made. This is what Eisenhower does."

The Democratic concept of a leader who denounces, pressures, and coerces actually discourages co-operation and violates the basic principle of democracy, Braucher believes. "The Republicans, on the other hand," he continued, "uphold the fundamental rule of a democracy, that the governed can best determine for themselves what they need."

Democrats Violate Principle

Braucher noted that the Democratic concept of a President violates an ancient principle, and a modern one. "Present day leaders of the armed services, corporations, and government have come to realize that the days of one-man rule are over."

Party organization was the other basic factor which led to Braucher's support of Eisenhower. "I find it easier to separate Eisenhower from Jenner and his wing of the party, than to divorce Stevenson from Eastland and his supporters."

Braucher said it would be intolerable to have the right wing Southern Democrats in control of Congress because of their seniority--"especially when integration is a major problem."

In commenting upon the issues, Braucher called Stevenson's draft proposal "just plain wrong," and the suggestion for an H-Bomb ban "unfortunate."