Crimson Meets Big Green in Stadium Today With Neither Eleven Rated a Solid Favorite

Coach Jordan Hopes 'A'-Formation Will Function 'More Effectively'

By Philip M. Boffey

Depending on which bookmaker you follow, this afternoon's game at 2 p.m. on Soldiers Field will find Dartmouth favored by a half point, Dartmouth favored by a touchdown, Harvard favored by a half point, or Harvard favored by a touchdown.

Perhaps the safest course, however, was taken by the bookie who rated the teams even. For if the oddsmakers' dilemma means anything, it is that the outcome of today's game rests in several unknown quantities.

Chief of these, perhaps, is the relative readiness of the opposing formations, the "A" for Harvard and the "V" for Dartmouth. The new Crimson offense has been erratic to date, looking spotty against Tufts, surprisingly strong against Cornell and against Columbia for the first period, but then stalling in the last three quarters of the game with the Lions last Saturday.

Earlier this week, however, Coach Lloyd Jordan said he thought the Crimson offense should start clicking this afternoon. "According to our coaching calendar," he said, "this is the game in which we should start to work smoothly and effectively."

The Indians are in somewhat the same situation, though they have a year's head start on the Crimson. Coach Bob Blackman introduced his "V" system last year, and it took the Big Green half a season to adapt to it. The "V" is actually a split "T" formation except that the fullback plays up close to the line between the guard and the tackle and is used primarily for blocking purposes. In last week's 7-7 tie with Holy Cross, however, the Indians gave indication that they may have gained full control over the new system.

A second unknown which is baffling the oddsmakers concerns Harvard's ability to cope with Dartmouth's passing attack and trick plays. Although the Indians have lost ace passer Bill Beagle through graduation, Blackman seems to have come up with an adequate replacement in senior Mike Brown. In his first four games, Brown has hit on 20 out of 40 pass attempts for a total of 278 yards. This percentage, coupled with the Crimson's weakness on pass defense, could make the difference in the game.

Razzle-dazzle Football

But to further harry the Crimson defenders, Dartmouth has come up with a restrained version of Southwestern razzle-dazzle football. Quarterback Brown has gained a reputation for unorthodox, and surprisingly successful signal calling. Besides elaborate faking on punts and kickoffs, the Indians often use lateral passes at the end of forward passes.

Perhaps their best trick, however, is the quick kick. Captain Bob Rex, a fine blocking back, has developed into one of the most effective quick kickers in recent years. Known as "Mr. Sideways" for the unique way he faces the stands to do his booting, Rex, has averaged 41.5 yards on his sixteen punts to rank eighth in the nation.

A third factor which has confused the bookies is the relative strength of the two lines. Most observers seem to rate the Green line, which averages 196.4, slightly stronger than the Crimson forward wall, which averages 205.

But the picture is somewhat complicated by injuries. The Dartmouth line is stronger on the left side, which is the chief point of attack for the Crimson's single wing running plays. Ordinarily this meeting of strength with strength would seem to give the Indian's an advantage, but with All-Ivy end Monte Pascoe on the injured list, the left side of the line may well prove the weaker side.

The Crimson has had less injuries, but there are still a few question marks. Chief of these is injured halfback Jim Joslin, who will probably start in the backfield along with Matt Botsford, Walt Stahura, and Tony Gianelly. Another is center Marv Lebovitz, who played the Columbia game with a painful shoulder injury. If Lebovitz is recovered, as late reports seem to indicate, the middle of the Crimson line will be considerably strengthened.

Comparative scores do little toward establishing a favorite. The Indians beat New Hampshire 13 to 0, and Brown 14 to 7, and tied Holy Cross 7 to 7, but they were upset by Penn 14 to 7. Since Brown beat Columbia, and the Lions beat Harvard, one might conclude that Dartmouth rated an edge. But one might also note that the Crimson is back on its every-other-game schedule of two years ago when the varsity lost to a weak local team, upset Cornell, lost to Columbia, and then beat the Indians. Perhaps the safest thing that can be said of this game is that its outcome rides on a host of unknowns