EXPLAINING NSA

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Congratulations on your most provocative article on NSA. It raises many good questions about NSA, a few of which may be covered here.

In the past, because of lack of information about NSA the Council hasn't utilized its services, but recently it has begun to take advantage of NSA by calling on the Student Government Information Department of NSA for a possible solution to Harvard's parking problem.

The general lack of information about NSA which hampers full realization of its values is partly NSA's fault. For example, a report of its national congress held at the end of August hasn't as yet appeared. On the other hand, the Student Council's general lethargy has worsened the situation. Four delegates and one alternate were authorized to attend the national convention. One delegate (who left before the close of the convention) and the alternate managed to attend. Then, in accepting NSA for another year the Council refused to take full advantage of the information these people should possess, and instead chose to accept as the basis for its action a report which gave no mention to the policy decisions made at the congress, support for which Harvard's membership implies.

The leadership of NSA is chosen from the more active members. This year among the six major officers five were from the Midwest. In the past, however, of forty-eight possible positions fifteen were filled by Eastern schools (five of these being Harvard people), nine by Western schools, seventeen by Midwestern schools and seven from Southern schools. With increased participation the Eastern college can assuredly gain the place of prominence it had in the past.

Lobbying is a practice of NSA, and its policies in this area, as in all other areas, are determined by the annual national congress. This year the congress authorized the establishment of a "NSA Legislative Subcommission" in Washington whose major project for the year will be to add teaching to the list of critical occupations which allow deferment from the draft.

As for finance, the largest part of support comes from individuals and foundations. Of the national budget only $13,000 out of $41,000 came from dues, and of the International Affairs budget all of the $31,000 came from voluntary contributions. From this money the four full-time officers draw their $3,000 per year.

The information above only answers a few of the outstanding questions about NSA. In closing, then, I would like to add my voice to the demand that the Council become more fully informed about NSA--now. Robert G. Wilson 58.