College Drive Collects $800 For Hungary

Campaign Will End In Houses Tonight

The Combined Charities Drive to raise funds for Hungarian relief collected an estimated $800 in its first day of door-to-door canvassing in the Houses and freshman dormitories, Gregory B. Stone '58, leader of the drive, reported last night.

The campaign in the College will end tonight. Students in the graduate schools, however, have been asked to mail in their contributions, and Stone hopes to have all donations collected by the end of the week.

The money raised by the drive will be turned over to the World University Service, an international student relief organization. A mimeographed announcement used in the campaign states that WUS intends "to reserve a part of the funds contributed in the hope of working within Hungary" and to use half of the total to aid refugee students.

Stone said that Combined Charities would send a check to WUS on Wednesday morning for the amount collected by that time, and that this money should be in Vienna by Friday.

Meanwhile, at a meeting in the Union last night, a group of freshmen formed an organization tentatively called the "Freshman Freedom Forum," which will help canvass the Yard dormitories for the Combined Charities Drive.

According to Derek T. Winans '60, chairman of a five-man committee directing the Forum, the organization will serve as an outlet for freshman opinion on world affairs and "will participate in worthwhile international charities," such as the Hungary collection.