Soccer Team Seeks Upset For Revenge on Quakers

By Adam Clymer

One year ago the Crimson soccer team traveled down to Philadelphia to oppose a first-rate Penn team in a crucial Ivy League game. Playing well below top form, the visitors were beaten, 2 to 0. This morning at 11 the Crimson has a chance to extract revenge.

These two teams tied for the Ivy title last year, but of them only Penn has a chance this season. Leading the League with a 3-0 record, the Quakers boast a crew of excellent sophomores and one of the best coaches around, Charley Scott.

Today they meet a team that has never measured up to expectations or even matched a promising opening-game performance. But they will see a team arranged differently from that which has lost five straight and they may see team playing with more unity than the former outfit.

Coach Bruce Munro has shaken up his team considerably. He moved Captain Grey Hodnett back from center forward to center half, and shoved Tony Oberschall from center to left half. This pair, along with John Felstiner, may give the Crimson some of the defense it has lacked. Otherwise, the defense will remain the same, with Elliot Finkelstein in goal and Don Beaver and Chris Provenson at fullbacks.

But it is the line that is most significant, for it has been averaging less than ten shots per game. Here only outside left Hank Holmes will be in his accustomed position, as inside Jim Shue will be shifted to center and outside Ken McIntosh to inside right. Tom Bernheim will play inside left and Robin Magowan outside right.

This new alignment and a solid week of practice may enable the Crimson to spring an upset. Of course, Penn may be the best team on its schedule this year, but nevertheless it is hard to understand why this team should have lost so many. If it cannot break the habit today, it may not do it all season.