Departing Students Fill Vacation Transportation

Since the beginning of this week, Harvard students have been deserting the Cambridge area to begin their Christmas vacation. Almost every mode of transportation going to major cities has been filled with holiday seeking students.

The University Travel Service reports that almost all airplane space leaving Boston has been filled since the week before Thanksgiving, even though airlines are running extra sections on most major flights. The agency said that there is practically no chance to acquire space on planes travelling between Boston and New York on Friday and Saturday. Most long non-stop flights are filled through Christmas morning.

Most railroad spaces are taken, although one can fight the crowds for unreserved coach seats. Several travel plans have been developed to lower rail-road rates by acquiring tickets on a "mass basis," but even these are filled.

Several students using the G and C Travel Plan to Chicago have faced a special inconvenience in their travelling schedules. After selling reduced rate tickets for the Saturday New England States train, the travel service earlier this week informed its customers that no special priced section will run tomorrow.

According to Barry L. Berman '57, director of the G and C plan, the last minute change resulted from the New York Central's recent conversion to diesel engines. Unlike previous years, there are not enough extra engines to run special sections every day during the holiday season, Berman said.

Students planning to leave Boston on the New England States tomorrow have been forced to advance their departure to today in order to obtain the special $54.30 round trip rate.

The Student Council Ride Bureau reports that its main trouble is securing drivers. Many people are reluctant to offer rides, possibly because they would rather make arrangements with friends or dislike taking chances with unfamiliar companions. The many signs on bulletin boards with such pleas as "Is anyone going to Timbooga, New Mexico" are witness to this fact.

Although transportation is scarce, no one should be completely stranded. The University Travel Bureau, which handles reservations for over 2500 students, says that "everybody seeking the bureau's help has been taken care of, although not necessarily on the day of their choice."

Because of several water-skiing meets being held in the Caribbean this weekend the CRIMSON editors will be unable to publish again until January seventh. At that time a summary of Caribbean events will doubtlessly appear.