Basketball Team Opens Season Against Wesleyan Five Tonight

An unproven but experienced Crimson basketball team should open its season in winning fashion tonight when it encounters a weak Wesleyan five, at 8:15 in the Alumni Field House at Middletown, Conn.

Coach Floyd Wilson should therefore have ample opportunity to experiment and to iron out early difficulties, as the Cardinals serve to test a team that has been practicing as a unit less than a month.

Although he will start a group of veterans tonight, Wilson will substitute freely, and make use of two tall sophomores who could make a great difference for a successful season.

Captain Ike Canty, a rugged 6-4 senior who led the team a year ago both in rebounds and scoring, will be the starting center. The two other seniors on the starting five, Dick Hurley and Bob Hastings, will share the guard positions, with juniors Dick Woolston and Monk Muncaster at the forwards.

Sophomores Griff McClellan (6-8) and Bryant Danner (6-4) will see plenty of action, and should help dominate the boards against a relatively small Wesleyan squad.

Wesleyan is rebuilding after a 4-12 season which was even worse than the Crimson's 8-16 record. Futhermore, Coach John Wood is handicapped by the loss through graduation of his top scorer, and has only one player standing above 6-2.

The Cardinals lost their first game of the campaign Saturday to Union College, 81-63.

The freshman team will also travel to Middletown today to open its season against the Cardinal freshman.