'Program' Will Curtail Ordinary Fund Appeals

Reynolds Announces Students May Take Role in 'Program'

By Adam Clymer

Ordinary University fund solicitation will be subordinated to President Pusey's Program for Harvard College, beginning next September, James R. Reynolds '23, assistant to the President, announced yesterday.

Reynolds also promised that undergraduates would take a "very important" part in the drive by helping to explain the College's needs, although plans for this have not yet been developed thoroughly.

The Harvard Fund, which conducts a continual appeal for unrestricted funds, will sharply curtail its requests after August 31, 1957, he said, so that most available resources will be channeled into the Program. The Fund will resume regular solicitation after July 1, 1958, while the Program enters its final "mopping-up" stages.

Fund Should Not Suffer

Reynolds does not expect that the Fund will suffer any permanent loss because of the emphasis on the Program, designed to raise between 75 and 100 million dollars. "The experience of similar funds," he said, "is that they do better after a capital funds campaign," because of increased alumni interest. He did say that the Fund was not expected to do as well as usual during the ten months of particular emphasis on the Program.

Until the end of August, 1957, Fund solicitations will continue as usual, and a single letter will be sent out in the spring of 1958 asking for a "token contribution to the Fund, Reynolds said. After June 30, 1958, solicitations will resume as usual, but in the intervening ten months solicitors for the Program will try to see every College alumnus in person, and the Fund will be de-emphasized.

Reynolds disclosed that he was working on plans to utilize student speakers to explain the College's needs. He also suggested that they might write some of the literature used in the campaign, but said plans for both of these programs were still incomplete.

Each class has its own separate Fund appeal, with the money collected by class agents appointed through the Fund Council.