Track Team Comes From Behind To Down Dartmouth by 1/3 Point

Behind by 9 2/3 points with two events to go in the meet, the varsity track team swept to victory in both the mile and two-mile relays to squeeze out a 54 2/3 to 54 1/3 win over Dartmouth at Hanover Saturday.

Dartmouth sweeps in both the broad jump and the pole vault, in addition to record-breaking wins by the Indians' Doug Brew in the mile and two-mile, meant that the varsity had to win these relays in order to win the meet.

Coach Bill McCurdy, figuring that Dartmouth would run its best men in the two-mile relay, pulled two of his best men from the mile relay to counter the Indian strength, counting on the superior Crimson depth to provide the win in the mile.

At the start of the one-mile relay, lead-off man Bill Morris gave second man Jim Cairns a 20-yard lead, which he, Mike Robertson, and French Anderson added to, winning going away in 3:26.9.

Two Mile Relay

Despite his previous three miles, Brew built up a big lead against Dick Norris. Second man for the varsity, Al Wills, who had just set a new Harvard record of 1:12.2 in the 600-yard run, came from far back to pass Dartmouth's second-best runner, Dick Schad. It was up to a fresh Otis Gates and anchorman Dick Wharton, who had just won the 1000, to hold this lead, which they did. The varsity time of 7:59.4 set a new Dartmouth cage record, only 1.4 seconds off the varsity record.

Other Crimson winners were Captain Art Siler in the shot and Art Mayo in the dash.