Part-Time Soldier Forgets Ivy Status

By Lewis M. Steel

Army ROTC curriculum at the College has undergone major revision recently, but in reality there has been little change at Shannon Hall. Once a week over 150 figures in olive drab uniforms still stream over to a muddy field by the Divinity School, march around and attend classes--a few hours later to be reabsorbed into an Ivy League environment.

But in those few hours the figures are expected to act like soldiers. And in three class periods a week, the same group, dressed in civilian cloths, are taught what prospective officers are supposed to know.

Most take all of this quite seriously because of personal convictions that they have a duty to their country to become officers. A few want commissions in the regular Army. Some are members of the unit simply because they would rather serve their two years in the Army as officers than as enlisted men. Whatever his reason for joining, each cadet attempts to get decent marks.

ROTC's basic texts are field manuals, little brown books that preach the gospel on every aspect of military life. Original thinking is the private privilege of the higher-ups, who have made a science out of war and know enough about soldiering to revise the basic methods. For those who are only cadets, there is but one path: acceptance of the Army's mehods.

Although drill is conducted on standards of regimentation and discipline, many of the classes are conducted like normal college sections. Sergeants, while not speaking like English professors, are extremely able to get their material across in their own peculiar language. It is very Army. And the teaching officers, although they have different standards than a Philosophy lecturer, know the West Point gospel well. The unit's military personnel tries to turn out soldiers. The University is interested in scholars. Everyone in the corps is aware of the difference. It is accepted just as the uniforms are.