Prescott St. Work Advances

New Freshman Dorm

Carpenters and plasterers will finish the first remodeling job at 10-12 Prescott St. Next week, Richard Johnson, the head of the construction crew, and yesterday.

After the painters have finished and the suite furnished on a trial basis, the administration will decide on the final room arrangements for the rest of the new freshman dormitory, according to Arthur D. Trottenberg, manager of operating services.

The remodeled buildings at 10-12 and 2 Prescott St. will hold about 150 students and proctors. A final decision on the number will follow completion of room arrangements, Trottenberg said yesterday. He described the dormitory's standard as "between Matthews and Wigglesworth, probably nearer Wigg."

The basement of No. 10-12 may house some students, but much more probably will serve for a common room or laundry room, he said. The basement now holds two apartments with their windows at ground level and the furnace room.

The head of the builders estimated from blue prints that each floor of No. 10-12 will house 23--in three single rooms, four doubles and four triples. One corridor will stretch the whole length of the buildings, with three or four washrooms opening off it, Trottenberg said.

Six of the 16 present tenants have vacated to date, and the rest have until June 30. Though work has begun on only four apartments, both Trottenberg and Johnson believe that the remodeling will end before registration next fall.