Coeds, Even

Few people are aware that M.I.T. is a coeducational institution. Indeed, to Most Harvard students, the idea of a feminine mind concerning itself with electrochemical engineering or mining and metallurgy seems somewhat revolting.

But each fall about 15 coeds appear at the Institute for Freshman registration. According to the latest statistics, 103 women are studying at M.I.T., 65 of them undergraduates.

Since the entire undergraduate body numbers more than 3,500, the coed thrives under a highly favorably ratio. About 70 per cent of the girls marry, and 40 per cent of these marry M.I.T. men.

Few allow marriage to curtail their scientific careers, however. Most work for a short time, take time out to raise a family, and then return to their professional fields, often to work as a team with their husbands.

The Institute's attitude toward its women is mainly one of acceptance, according to Ruth L. Bean, Dean of Women. It doesn't exclude them, she says, but it makes not special effort to advertise the fact that it will accept them. Why do they come? Mostly because of a dedication to science or alumni pressures but sometimes because of the ratio.