Dewey Says Nixon's Experience Qualifies Him for V.P. Selection

Harmony With Ike Praised

Thomas E. Dewey, twice Republican nominee for the Presidency, last night called Vice-President Nixon "qualified" to run for reelection because of his "extensive experience in government."

"Nixon's success in carrying out the presidential program as Vice-President is so great," Dewey explained, "that he never gets write-ups in the newspapers." Dewey called this lack of publicity a sign of harmony between Nixon and Eisenhower.

Dewey said this last night in answer to a question at a lecture on foreign policy sponsored by the Law School's Student Bar Association.

Earlier in the evening, speaking on "Law and Politics," Dewey concluded that global war within the next five to ten years seems unlikely, considering the present "stalemate" with Russia.

The attempts by the Russian government to discredit Stalin is a sign of the change in Communist tactics from "aggression" to "intensive propaganda," he argued. "We must be ready to assume world leadership in the new type of economic struggle," Dewey stated, "or, in my opinion, die."

Russia's present plan is to "play America's own game" of offering aid to underdeveloped countries, while attempting "infiltration," Dewey continued. The U.S. must maintain its influence with its allies and the "neutral nations," he said, to avoid "economic strangulation.'

Americans, according to Dewey, must, however, "stop making the world over in their own image," if their efforts are to meet with success. The Soviet Union's proximity and its effective propaganda has affected many of the "neutrals," he said.