Divinity School to Hold Prayers For Arrested Alabama Negroes

The Divinity School's Andover Chapel will be open next Wednesday for prayers for the Negro ministers and laymen arrested in Montgomery, Ala. This date will coincide with a general nation-wide religious move.

The drive to have this special day of prayer established at the Divinity School has been spurred by the Student Worship Committee, a student organization co-chairmaned by Joyce E. Mann 1Dv., and Thomas W. Targett 1Dv.

Targett yesterday said that the noonday sermon will be on the race issue and that a special clergyman is being sought to deliver the sermon. He expects that the appointment of a minister for the day of prayer will be announced within a few days.

Although the greater part of the congregation is expected to come from the University, Andover Chapel will be open to the public.

A similar "day of prayer and protest" was held in Boston University this past Wednesday.

A total of 90 Alabama Negroes were indicted on Feb. 21, for illegally boycotting the privately-owned bus company in Montgomery. The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., the first of the Negroes to come to trial, was convicted on the charge yesterday by Circuit Judge Eugene W. Carter. He was fined $500, plus $500 court costs. The defense counsel announced that the decision would be appealed.

Judge Carter said that he did not impose the maximum penalty because Luther had "acted to prevent violence."