Wallace and Howe Meet in Forum Today

Henry A. Wallace, former Vice-President, will debate with Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, on the "Role of the Vice-Presidency" in Sanders Theatre at 8 p.m. tonight.

Howe is a specialist in constitutional law and American legal history. Robert Braucher, professor of Law, will moderate the debate.

Wallace served at Vice-President from 1941 to 1945 during Roosevelt's third term and as Secretary of Commerce from January 1945 to September 1946. He opened his career as Secretary of Agriculture at the start of the New Deal. Former President Truman dismissed Wallace for criticizing the Administration's foreign policy.

Trying for a political come-back Wallace ran for the Presidency on the progressive party ticket in 1948 but received only a million votes. Two years later he retired from the party and returned to farming.

The increased interest in the role of Vice-Presidency since Eisenhower's heart attack prompted the choice of the topic, Kenneth A. Korb '53, of the Forum board directors, said yesterday. The importance of the Vice-President has increased so greatly recently that a congressional committee recently polled four University experts on the question of temporary sucession if the President were disabled, he added.

Vice-President Richard M. Nixon was invited by the forum but he refused pleading a prior engagement.