Council Questions Biochemistry Change; Will Supervise Inter-House Food Group

Two Committees Will Work Together on Food Investigation

By Peter V. Shackter

The Student Council last night refused to yield control of the College foods investigation to a new inter-House committee, composed of members appointed by House committees in the five Houses served by the central kitchen.

The Council took this action in defeating a measure to make its own ad hoc Foods Committee merely an advisory body to the Inter-House group. The bill would also have dissolved the Council committee as of May 1.

Members of the Council said last night that the two committees will work on "complementary plans," but the Council group will guarantee that the inter-House group complete its projects.

No Official Plans

The inter-House committee has not yet made any official plans but it will probably poll members of Eliot, Kirkland, Leverett, Lowell, and Winthrop Houses in the near future on the quality, preparation, and selection of their meals. The committee will also confer with members of the Faculty and Administration.

Its membership is totally different from the committee of David K. Sirota '56, which last year initiated a student poll but failed either to decode it or to study the meal question further.

Students Protest

In response to student protest over the stagnation of the Sirota group, the Council formed its own investigating committee this term. Besides examining the problem in the central kitchen Houses, the Council committee was going to study the entire University food problem.

At the same meeting last night, financial shortages caused the Council to vote against publishing the next issue of the Harvard Review, unless three-quarters of its cost is met by advance advertising.