Crimson Varsity Overwhelms Yale In 11-4 Net Rout

Junta Crushes Eric Moore In Three Sets, 1-6, 6-2, 6-0

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

NEW HAVEN, May 14--If one may believe the old saw about not judging books by their covers, one can certainly extend this adage to the realm of tennis matches, and yesterday's Harvard-Yale contest in particular. The Crimson thumped the Elis, 11 to 4, in over-all match score, but things were not quite as clear cut as one might suppose.

The 11-4 victory was part of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton triangular matches, but in the Eastern Intercollegiate League, where only nine matches are counted, Harvard is credited with a close 5-4 victory over Yale. The varsity's depth carried through the H-Y contest with ease, but in Eastern League play the top of the squad had its hands full.

At first singles, Dale Junta added considerable luster to his New England Intercollegiate Singles Crown by turning back Eric Moore 1-6, 6-2, 6-0. Moore, top seeded in the Intercollegiates, had been forced to default in the semi-final round.

Junta seemed absolutely helpless in the opening set as he could not hold his serve once. In the second set, however, Junta was a changed player. With his overwhelming service and powerful ground strokes working to perfection, the big sophomore ran Moore off the court in the last two sets.

However, Brooks Harris, Ham Gravem, and Ben Heckscher didn't find things quite so pleasant. Harris ran into six and one-half feet of power tennis in the person of Ed Meyer, who toppled the Crimson captain, 6-2, 6-2.

Gravem found the pretty strokes of Sam Schoonmaker a bit too tough as he lost, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 to the Yale number three man. Heckscher tired badly in the third set of his match with Newel Augur to bow, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.

At this point, depth began to tell, and the varsity swept the remaining singles matches. Steve Gottlieb, Maynard Canfield, Karl Purnell, Connie Fischer, Cal Place, and Steve Kay all picked up easy two-set wins.

To open the doubles play, Gravem and Fischer crushed Reid Williamson and John Somerville, 6-3, 6-2, to assure the Crimson of a win in the H-Y-P match and give them a 4-3 lead in the League match. However, the team of Place and Gottlieb, playing together for the first time, seemed certain to bow to Schoonmaker and Augur.

This left the match up to Harris and Junta, and when they dropped the first set, 6-3, to Moore and Meyer, the prospects of a Yale upset became eminent. However, Harris' beautiful return of serve and fine net play and Junta's crushing service started to coordinate together, and the Crimson duo proceeded to annihilate the Yale pair, 6-3, 6-1, in the final two sets.

The rest was mere formality as Place and Gottlieb lost 6-2, 6-3, to leave the varsity with a 5-4 League victory. In the remaining doubles, Kay and Ian Giannetti won 6-4, 6-2, and Purnell and Canfield triumphed 7-5, 6-2 to complete the Crimson's scoring